By Special Guest – Sacraspice
Hey fellow foodies! It’s Celeste from Sacraspice Community Services, a charity that my sister and I started in 2013 to make healthy eating more accessible for low-income families living in Toronto. Sacraspice is a combination of the words “Sacrifice” and “Spice”.
We’ve both always loved cooking because it is a means of creative expression and it offers us so much control over what we’re eating since we’re the ones involved from start, to cooking, to finish. The idea of promoting the health benefits of wholesome foods excites us both. We are big fans of healthy eating and one of our favourite snacks is popcorn. We’ve tried making a lot of variations of popcorn, but Paprika Lime Popcorn is our favourite by far.
This recipe is for popcorn lovers who know that homemade popcorn beats store bought popcorn ANYDAY! The day we created this recipe, we initially had a craving for something savoury that also had a tangy twist to it. And voila, after some fiddling, this popcorn treat hit the spot. Other than being the perfect snacking food, popcorn is also super easy to make and is packed with whole grains, fibre, and antioxidants.
- 4 quarts Freshly popped popcorn
- 3 tbps Coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 3 tbps Melted butter
- 2 tsp Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbps Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- Place freshly popped popcorn on a large baking sheet lined with foil.
- Add the melted butter on top of the popcorn (you can use olive oil alternatively).
- Add the spices to a small bowl, mix them together, and then sprinkle the spice mixture over the popcorn.
- Combine everything (spices, butter, and popcorn) altogether with your hands, then squeeze a bit of the lime juice on top.
- If you plan on keeping the popcorn for more than a couple of hours (which is rare, because they usually finish in minutes) then you can put the popcorn in the oven with the same baking sheet at 350F degrees for 6-8 minutes so the popcorn doesn't get soggy.
- (Stovetop) Put a fairly deep pot on medium heat on the stove. Add the coconut oil. When the oil heats up, add 3 kernels to the pot. When they pop, it means you’ve reached the perfect popping temperature. Add the rest of the kernels and cover the pot, being sure to leave a slight opening for steam to escape.
- (Microwave) Pour 1 tsp of olive oil over 1/3 cup of corn kernels, and allow to soak down for a few seconds. Place the oiled kernels into a brown paper bag and fold the bag over two times and crease tightly. Place the bag on top of a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Pop times may vary by microwave but when there are 2-3 seconds between pops you know it's done.
Let us know what you thought of this popcorn by commenting below. Send in pictures of your Paprika Lime popcorn to email@example.com for the opportunity to be featured on the post!
With health and wholeness,