Since the start of this year, I’ve been making every effort to be more thoughtful in the things I do. And I don’t just mean me taking the time to think things through before I jump in. I’m also talking about being impactful and purposeful.
You’re probably wondering what all of this has to do with a lemon poppy seed cake. Well honestly, with Remembrance/Veterans Day merely a few days away, I wanted to make sure I approached that day thoughtful, purposeful, and impactful as well.
Many of us wear poppies as a symbol to remind ourselves of the sacrifice that others have made for the wellbeing of our nation. Since poppy seeds are derived from poppies, I thought this cake might be a good preamble to the deep dive I’ll be doing on November 11th regarding the day that we choose to remember.
Not to mention, this cake is damn good! Remember those angel food cupcakes I was gushing about a few weeks ago? Move them on over and make way. This cake is now my absolute favourite.
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) Betty Crocker French Vanilla cake mix
- 1 pkg. (85 g) Jell-O Lemon Jelly Powder
- 1-1/4 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 4 tbsp. Lemon peel
- 85g Betty Crocker whipped cream cheese icing
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat cake mix, jelly powder, water, oil, and eggs in large bowl with mixer until blended.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Pour into greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 50 min. to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan 30 min.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto wire rack; gently remove pan. Cool cake completely.
- Using a butter knife, spread icing on top of the cake (amount to suit your taste).
- Garnish with lemon peel.
- The Kraft recipe offers instructions to make your own icing, however, if you're short on time (like I always am), using prepackaged icing as directed above should cut down on time quite a bit.
- Really make sure cake is loosened well enough before inverting it on the wire rack. Otherwise, it may not come out in full.