I’m so excited to announce the very first ever D&L contest! You probably read about it in the last newsletter and in case you didn’t then that means you haven’t received the newsletter … which also means you haven’t yet signed up to get first access to post updates, newsletters, and printables. In that case, what are you waiting for?! Become an email subscriber by entering your email address in the subscribe pop up at the bottom of the page or in the subscribe option in the right column on any post page.
So, Dots & Lace’s newsletter is in major need of a makeover. Creating a newsletter has become a very time consuming endeavour each month because it takes so much time trying to piece together a design. There hasn’t been a consistent design either – so far, each newsletter has looked very unique and not in a “oh, being different is good” kind of way.
As we near D&L’s first birthday this summer, I was hoping to have a more consistent newsletter design that really captures the identity of the blog. I describe this analogy to my mentees all the time – before you even see a Telus or Gap logo you already know you’re observing one of their ads. These sort of brands offer a consistent experience and feeling when we engage with their ads – cute characters and simple text, as an example. That’s the sort of thing I’m hoping to get with the D&L newsletter, because essentially, it’s our very own way of advertising.
And considering I haven’t been successful in coming up with a solid design, I thought why not give you a chance to play a huge part in the success of Dots & Lace? Even better is that you can win something too!! I encourage you to check out the contest deets below, apply, and spread the word throughout your networks.
Contest is for the design of the Dots & Lace newsletter template. The winning design will be used to create the newsletter each month. Within a week of being chosen, winner will be awarded their choice of a $25 Amazon gift card or a $25 iTunes gift card. Some other important things to note:
- Contest is open from May 1, 2016 until June 1, 2016
- Past newsletters may be viewed here
- Logos can be retrieved here
- For instructions on how to share a MailChimp template, check out these instructions
- Don’t be afraid to code your template if that’s your thing. See instructions here.
- Contestants are allowed unlimited entries
- Dots & Lace followers will have 1 week to vote on the winning design after the contest closes
- The design with the most votes within the valid voting period wins
- It would be very much appreciated if winning contestant allows for very minor changes if needed
- Dots & Lace reserves the right to not select a winner if no suitable designs are submitted
- By submitting a template design, all contestants relinquish full ownership of the design to Dots & Lace
- At least 3 designs that meet the below criteria must be submitted in order for the Dots & Lace community to vote
In order to qualify for entry, contestants must:
- Subscribe by email to Dots & Lace before the close of the contest
- Follow ‘dotsnlace’ on Facebook and Twitter before the contest close date
- Use MailChimp to create a template
- Share MailChimp template(s) with Dots & Lace. To share your template, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the template URL, your full name, and email address.
- Submit their designs no later than 11:59pm EST June 1, 2016 in order to be considered
- Reflect the same experience/brand that people encounter when on www.dotsandlace.com
- Incorporate the Dots & Lace logo and the brand colors (Hex# 22E1EB, Hex# 767676, and Hex# ffffff) in some way
- Have a header that indicates it’s a Dots & Lace newsletter in a clear way
- Have a section below the top header for an intro letter (see past newsletters)
- Have a section for 3-4 published posts that I’d like to highlight. Each item in this section must have room for a clickable image and text.
- Have a section for 2-3 upcoming posts readers can look out for. Each item in this section must have room for an image and text.
- Include the social media buttons typically used in the newsletter (see past newsletters)
- Include copyright, unsubscribe text, and MailChimp stamp in the footer (see past newsletters)
- Not include any other identities apart from Dots & Lace. For example, designer’s name or logo cannot be in the newsletter.
And that’s pretty much it. On your marks … get set … start clicking. Can’t wait to see what you all come up with!!